4/06/2011

NY Times 3-31 The Good & The Bad

Oh Goodie! Another Thing To Be All Retro About: Typewriters!!
[The reason this piece is late is because I wrote it on a wonderful old Remington. Then retyped it because of typors. Then had it set in type face, printed, and fed manually into the interweb]


What’s going to make a comeback next?
  • Slide rulers? -- just love the feel of the wood, the incomprehensibility!
  • Beepers? -- need I say more?
  • Belted sanitary pads? --  I really like to feel protected
  • Pogroms? – veiled anti-Semitism is so done. I want to be hated to my face, have my home trashed, really feel the loathing.

Kids Doing Real Woodworking

I’ve tried for years to get my kids in actual cooking classes not the only kind you can actually find in New York City, the pudding-stirring-stay-away-from-heat-and-sharp-objects-you-precious-little-idiot-you classes. It’s like the first thing a seven year old would do in front of an open flame is put his face on it because it’s so bright and colorful. As if even if kids were that stupid, then all the adults present supervising would somehow be so inept or inattentive that they would let them.

Sorry I have to go now, Simon just flipped the steaks on our hardwood charcoal grill with a pair of tongs more than half his height, and I have to stir the pudding. [Actually Simon did that two summers ago when he was six. The following fall he got to chop celery with a plastic knife at the JCC].

I never did find a decent cooking class, but at least these dudes have stepped up with real tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment